Monday, September 18, 2006

Plant Hijacker!

So I'm not a green thumb. My mother-in-law gave me some herb plants and this pepper plant and I've been doing pretty good with them, but I started to notice my pepper plant was not doing so good in the last couple days. Little did I know it was cuz of this guy! I walked out into my kitchen this morning and saw my plant "moving" out of the corner of my eye! Of course I freaked for a second...because how many plants move? Then I look close and there is this BIG caterpillar! I've never seen one like this. I don't know when the heck he came into my kitchen or if he's been there since my mother-in-law gave the plant to me a couple weeks ago, or what. I've been watering them everyday too, so you would think I'd notice, but he is the same color as the leaves. Or what's left of the leaves. Either way, I thought he was pretty, so I took a few shots of him before I evicted him. I looked him up and he's a Tomato Hornworm. See the little "horn on his back end? It's not a stinger, as I thought when I first saw it. I guess their pretty hamless. He didn't seem hamless when I was trying to get him off the plant. Little guy hung on for dear life and kept "snapping" at the spatula I was using to pry him off! LOL! I guess they like tomato and pepper plants. It's just weird to me that he's been a stow-away in my kitchen for like 3 weeks! Oh well, no harm, no foul right? Unless you're a pepper plant...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That caterpillar is so pretty! Too bad he was being a bad critter and you had to evict him from his home. He's better off outside anyway!

Anonymous said...

you should keep him- he's cute- so you can watch him grow into a butterfly....

Fran

Christina Ragusin said...

Yea I thought about it later. I guess they turn into humungous beautiful moths. Would have been cool to see!