Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Location, location location!

I hate where I live. I like the town. I like the house. I even like where the town is, even though it takes about 30 minutes to get anywhere. I just hate my street and the fact that it's literally a block from the train. I can look outside my front window and see the train. It wouldn't be so bad if the train didn't blow its whistle every single time it comes past our house. And it must be a loading station too, because the train sits there for hours sometimes and then when it gets going, it must blow its whistle at least 5 loooong times. They blow the whistle early in the morning too. Sometimes at 5am. Its so annoying! Then there is the traffic. This street is so busy at any given time. The speed limit is 30, but it's a residential street. I feel like it should be 20, but because it's a bit of a main street, it will never be that low. It doesn't matter anyway, because no one goes 30 anyway. Everyone goes at least 50 down this street. I've seen people go so fast down here I could feel the house shake when they went past. We had a couple kids hit by a speeding car just down the street a couple years ago. I don't know if they made it or not. I lock the front screen door so Ava doesn't decide to learn how to open it and take a walk outside. It's only about 15 yards to the street. That scares the hell out of me.
So, we're looking. Not sure if we will be moving anytime soon, but the thought is in our heads. Problem is, what we want out of a house and the locations we're looking at, the cost for a house is around $200,000. I'm not sure we can afford that. Our house now cost about 89,000. We were pretty lucky on that. The previous owners had it on the market for over a year I guess. They had it going for $140,000. However, my opinion is, they were absolutely horrible with interior decorating. Pink and teal walls, huge floral wallpaper, blacklights for bedroom lighting (??). So anyone coming in here must have thought "Oh this is going to be a lot of work." and it was, and still is three and a half years later. It's not so much hard work as it is expensive. We really couldn't afford a fixer upper. It's much better now though. We might be able to get $150,000 for it, but it's still much less than what we're looking at. Plus, our credit isn't what it should be. So it will be at least a year before we can even seriously look.
All I can do right now is pray that it would be sooner. And try to be happy with what I have. Some people are lucky enough to have a roof over their heads. So we're blessed, and I'm being greedy. I just can't help it. Everytime a car or a train goes by, I'm reminded of how much I hate this street. And thats at least every 5 seconds.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I hear there's some nice people just across the river in Iowa! Of course, there's also some 27-year old freak mom with a nose ring too... And a house in your price range right down the street from her, and a hospital with ambulances, and a bunch of people in need of wedding photographers! Yep, I think you need to move... To Iowa, that is!

Christina Ragusin said...

Oh I'd love to!Not sure how Todd would feel about lesbian cows though...

Leah said...

I don't know anything about lesbian cows, but Ohio sure is lovely.

MIL is selling her condo. For CHEAP. Maybe you could switch houses. You'd have a new place in a great neighborhood close to your truly, and MIL would be far away from me.

Double score!

Christina Ragusin said...

Oh really? Hmm...anyone else with an offer? Maybe I can auction off my presence to the highest bidder! lmao