My sister, Jessica sent me an IM with a website for photography www.royllera.com and said that the photographer had a whole section on Cuba. I thought I'd check it out. It had me in tears! Not so much the pictures themselves, or the conditions they live in, but the fact that this is a culture that makes up 50% of my blood and I know nothing about it! I knew they were living in bad conditions, but I had no idea that Havana was so poor. It looks like a step up from a third world country. I didn't know! My father came to America with his family when he was 8 years old. Eventually, he moved up to the midwest while his family stayed in Florida. He met and married my mom and they had 4 kids. They were divorced a long time ago, but we all are very close to my dad. But because we didn't live with him, we don't speak Spanish and we don't know much about our heritage or our culture. I've met my grandparents twice, Florida is so far and we don't have the money to see them more often. I married Todd and we had Ava a year ago. I wanted to visit them so they could meet their great-granddaughter, but I kept putting it off. Not enough time, money, etc. Excuses. My grandmother died a few months ago of complications from diabetes. I really regret not going to see them sooner. I went through the pictures of Cuba and wept. I want to know more. I should know more about my heritage and the pictures have me aching to know more. Particularly the photo of the old woman sitting at the table playing dominos. She reminds me so much of my abuela. The last time I went down to visit them, the whole family spent hours sitting at a little table playing dominos. So I talked to Todd and I am calling my father today and I would like to plan a visit to my abuelo and the rest of my family within the next month. I can't keep making excuses. I need to know about my heritage & I want Ava to know too.
Is That A Baby In Your Pants Or Are You Just Happy To See Me?
-
Kids today, with all their weird hobbies:
(PS - Oh! Hey! Think this is Isabella?)
*****
Ariel's company wanted their vision statement written on a cake...
11 hours ago


5 comments:
So did you talk to Daddy? i didn't know we were sooo close to him- I wish we were alot more.... I would love to go down there and visit everyone too, I only met Grandma once or twice, but at least you guys got to go down there a few years ago.
Fran
Yeah, I know what you mean Fran, I wished we were even closer to Dad. It seems like he's slipping away or something. I haven't seen him much during my pregnancy and I'm not sure if he's that excited for us or anything. Everytime Jack and I go to Indiana, that's all I think about is when am I going to see Dad again? I miss him and I also want to go to Florida again, but this time see my family there. They have not met Jack and I want him to meet them. I also don't know if our family in Florida knows if I'm expecting. I really want to know more about Cuba and our heritage because after I saw those pictures, I cried and couldn't stop thinking about it. When Jack and I went to Florida in November, that's one of the main things I wanted to do, go see Grandpa and our family there, but after I talked to Grandpa on the phone, I was really ashamed that we couldn't really talk to him in Spanish or understand each other. I feel so seperate from Dad's family since we don't know much Spanish and we don't keep in touch. I'm hoping that maybe we all can go there together ourselves and catch up with our lives and know more about our own blood line.
I think you guys should drive down there with us for Christmas and you can spend some time with your family and then we can all meet again to come back home!
was the last comment Amy? I completely agree with you Jess, He has only seen his first Grandchildren (Ian, Collin, and Ava)a handful of times- it's sad- he only lives 35 minutes away and I'm sure has a little more free time than any of us. Any time we have an event- he has something else to do (Collin's birth, Ian's birthday and Collin's 2nd birthday?)- I think the last time I saw him was Ava's detication and i could only stay for a little bit because of work. But that may be an idea for Christmas- I'd have to check when my break is for school- is that a good idea for anyone else?
Fran (put your name people)
Yup! That was Amy. I love the idea, so I'm going to talk to Todd about it. I know we wanted to go on vacation around the 1st of the year, so Christmas might be cool. Or at least near Christmas. I'm not sure I like the idea of us all going down to Florida and leaving mom alone for Christmas.
Post a Comment