Well, congrats to Barack Obama and his supporters! I can't say I'm not disappointed, but I didn't really think McCain was going to win, though I did vote for him. I wore my red shirt today and Melaina and I went this afternoon to vote. We both went in and showed our kids what it was like to vote. Ava was so funny, she was so excited this morning, she woke me up to "go voting!" She talked non-stop all morning about "going on a vote." Finally, after we actually voted, I told her we were going to go out for lunch and she cried. I couldn't figure out what was wrong, but after her saying "I don't want to go out for lunch! I want to go on a vote!" a few times, the light bulb went on. She thought all day that we were going to go on a boat. So the idea of filling in ovals at a booth was a less than appealing event for her. I felt bad, but we went to lunch with Lain and the boys anyway and she ate spaghetti and meatballs (omg! yay!!) and she loved it. So, we went home after that and I did some work and checked the status online all day. Around 9pm, I was pretty sure that McCain was not going to be our new president, but I watched the numbers climb anyway. So then they called it around 11pm. Obama is our new president.
Like I said, I'm not ecstatic, but I'm not horribly sad either. I didn't really expect McCain to win. I voted for him because, as a Christian and a republican, I agree with his stances and policies. There are many things about Obama that I don't agree with. I do not like his idea of robbing from the rich to give to the poor. There are many people who could benefit from it, I understand that, but there are many people who already take advantage of the welfare system and all we are doing is enabling them to take advantage of taxpayers and sit on their butts and still do nothing to help their situations. Plus, I think people who have the money and want to give money to charities, they should be able to give it to who they want. They shouldn't have to pay more in taxes than everyone else, just because they can afford it and then have that money be given to who the government chooses. It's not fair. Period.
I also think it is pretty dangerous to pull our men out of Iraq so fast. I understand they have been there for a while, but they signed up for it. They put their lives on the line for our country, and God bless them. But that was their choice. If we pull out, it leaves us open and vulnerable to countries who are just waiting for us to cower away. Obama said this war was a mistake. But, I often wonder if the tables were turned, and if we were the country in need of brave soldiers leaving behind their families and their country to protect our rights and the rights of our children, if we would think it was a mistake. Or if we would be thankful to them for saving our lives and our children's life. Whatever the cost. Because we are human beings, and deserve freedom and human rights just like them.
And yes, there are many other reasons, most of which have to do with my faith in God and my belief in the bible. I'm not going to get into them, but you can guess what they are. I don't feel like debating, so if you don't agree with me, we can just agree to disagree and I will respect your views and opinions and I would expect you to respect mine in return.
I was talking to my sister and my views on this election. This is the way I see it. I wanted strawberry jelly on my toast. I love strawberry jelly. But there was only cherry and grape jelly available to me. So, I chose cherry because it's red and it's the closest to strawberry. Either one would be a decent alternative, but I still really wish I had strawberry.
Regardless, I am proud to be an American. I think we are very lucky to live in a democracy and be able to choose and vote on our leaders. I am very proud to live in a country that will have it's first African American president come January. I think that shows how far we have come with civil rights and I really think it's wonderful. I really think that Obama will try to help our country, it might be his way, but I really hope he can help to better the economy. But, unlike many Obama supporters (in my opinion) I am not hypnotized by his melodious voice and I do not believe everything that comes out of his mouth. He is a politician you know. They've been known to lie. So no, I don't think we will all be running through fields of flowers and rainbows and puppy dogs, all of us holding hands and singing songs of peace and change because Obama is president. But I hope things will get a little better around here. That would be nice. And I wont be one of those who say "Well, he's not MY president!" or "Don't look at me, I voted for the other guy!" I will support Obama as my president and I wish him all the luck. He's got a hard road ahead of him. Our situation is crap right now. So if he can get us out of the crapper, great. I can't be mad at him for that. So good luck and congrats Obama!
Is That A Baby In Your Pants Or Are You Just Happy To See Me?
-
Kids today, with all their weird hobbies:
(PS - Oh! Hey! Think this is Isabella?)
*****
Ariel's company wanted their vision statement written on a cake...
11 hours ago


0 comments:
Post a Comment